Occasionally a fossil is found in the "wrong" place, or a rock is
dated to a "wrong" age. There are a whole bunch of possible
explanations, such as:
Here are some cases where anomalous dates were claimed:
- Younger material could have fallen into a crevice in older rock.
- A human grave might have been dug deeply.
- Fraud and hoaxes do happen.
- The fossil might have been mis-identified.
- The species might simply have lived longer than we thought.
- The dating method might be inapplicable somehow.
- The dating method might be wrong.
- The report might be garbled.
- Evolution might be wrong.
About fresh lava dated as 22 million years old
About Glen Rose Man
About carbon-dating of dinosaur bones
About carbon-dating of shellfish
Paluxy/Glen Rose man-and-dinosaur tracks
About the Miocene human in Guadeloupe
About an ancient miner's hammer
About polystrate trees
Last modified: 3 Jan 2009
Up to the fossils page.
Email a comment.